The Elephant Camp’s Glazed Chicken Wings
The Elephant Camp is a luxury safari lodge tucked away in the teak woodlands of the Victoria Falls National Park. The al fresco dining area has panoramic views of the cavernous Batoka Gorges, and the cloud of mist from the Victoria Falls Rainforest commands the horizon. Against a backdrop of natural wonder, the chefs prepare incredible cuisine, and a favourite light lunch is the lodge’s glazed chicken wings.
However, before we divulge The Elephant Camp’s glazed chicken wing recipe, we’re going to set the scene for you.
Imagine you are on safari in sunny Victoria Falls. Because The Elephant Camp is owned and operated by Wild Horizons, your itinerary is tailor made with inclusive activities that highlight the magic of Africa’s Adventure Capital. Perhaps you spent the morning exploring the Victoria Falls rainforest on a guided tour, which was followed by an Elephant Encounter. Or you strapped on a harness for the Canopy Tour and then formed a cultural connection by visiting the nearby local village. No two days are the same, but by lunchtime, you have made memories, had adventures and worked up an appetite. An incredible view, an ice-cold beer and a plate of the lodge’s glazed chicken wings is about the best light lunch we can think of. The wings aren’t your garden-variety buffalo-style, but rather slathered in a sweet-and-tangy glaze with a sprinkle of sesame seeds.
GLAZED CHICKEN WINGS
- 2kg chicken wings (tips removed)
- 2 tbsp fresh garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 375g tomato ketchup
- 100ml honey
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- Preheat the oven to 200°C
- Arrange the wings on a solid baking tray and sprinkle them with oil, salt and pepper
- Place the tray in the oven and bake for 20 minutes
- Take the tray out of the oven and transfer the chicken juice from the tray into a bowl
- In a sauce pan, toss the finely chopped onion, garlic and rosemary
- Add the juice, honey, soy sauce. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer for 2-3minutes
- Pour the sauce over the wings and place the tray back in the over.
- Bake until the wings are golden brown and the sauce has reduced
TripAdvisor rated The Elephant Camp as the seventh-best hotel in Africa for service. The dedicated team is intuitive yet discreet, understanding that the experience is a chance to return to life’s simple pleasures and meaningful moments.