Mankwe Tented Retreat & Campsite: A Self-Drive Destination
Whether you are a rustic self-drive enthusiast or looking for a bit more luxury in your Botswana adventures, look no further.
Located in the heart of the Botswana bush, amongst the rustling mopane trees, lies the newly renovated gem of Mankwe Tented Retreat and Mankwe Campsites. This simple and stylish wooden tented lodge is nestled in a private 365 000 hectare concession bordering the Moremi Game Reserve and the Chobe National Park.
Mankwe Tented Retreat and Campsites are in a breathtaking region in the wild adventure land of Botswana, where the lack of fences allows for the free-roaming of game, including resident lions, an abundance of elephants, and an incomprehensible room to explore. Only 93km from the international airport in Maun, Mankwe Tented Retreat is within easy reach to ensure your first night in Botswana is not lost but instead spent in the splendour of the African bush. Manwke is also only a mere hour and a half away from Khwai airstrip, meaning that the Khwai concession, celebrated for its wonderous water and bird wildlife, is only a stone’s through away.
The Tented Retreat:
Mankwe is not only about game drives and wildlife. The lodge strives to offer guests the opportunity to forget about the world and take some time off. The lodge boasts various areas of relaxation to choose from that are all interlinked with elevated wooden walkways.
- There are two swimming pools, each with a bar, sun-recliners, and private lounging nooks around them, allowing you to soak up the tranquil quietude of the bush after a day in the Okavango Delta.
- Branching out from the walkway is yet another enclave of relaxation: a lounge/reading area kitted out with games and books.
- There is WiFi throughout the Reception area.
- Meals are served around the main pool or dining area, just up from the pool.
- A small spa treatment room offers a variety of relaxing massages and treatments. Treatment sessions must be booked in advance.
- The business lounge with WiFi access allows for that last-minute business to be done without impacting friends and family time in and around the lodge.
- Mankwe Tented Retreat is also completely solar-powered.
Mankwe Campsites are designed with self-driving campers in mind. You will enjoy an exclusive location, which overlooks the bush and mopane forest. In fact, the campsites are located on the same concession as the luxurious Mankwe Tented Retreat at the gateway to the Moremi Game Reserve. Each campsite is secluded to allow guests a sense of privacy and exclusivity. Camps are not fenced, and wildlife, including big game like lions, elephants and buffalo, roam freely in the area. Wild dogs are also often spotted at the campsites.
- Mankwe Campsites are equipped with showers (cold), bucket showers, flush toilets, and washbasins.
- Hot water can be heated on the fire for a hot shower using the bucket shower.
- Water is provided for campers, but it is not drinking water (campers are advised to bring their own supplies).
- Firewood is included on the first night and is available for purchase at the Mankwe Tented Retreat reception after that.
- Camping guests may enjoy the facilities of Mankwe Tented Retreat, including the swimming pool, lounge, bar, and dining area.
- Each of Mankwe’s campsites can accommodate a maximum of 6-8 guests in one group and 3 or 4 vehicles. Kindly take note that Mankwe Campsites does not have electricity, and guests are required to be 100 % self-sufficient.
Given its fantastic location in a private concession, easy access to various must-see Botswana wildlife areas and the closeness to the bubbly town of Maun, Mankwe Tented Retreat and Campsite is the perfect destination for any self-drive traveller.