Curry Bratwurst Burger – Hakusembe River Lodge
Just 16 km from the bustling northern border town of Rundu in the Kunene Region is Hakusembe River Lodge; the gateway town to the Caprivi Region. The lodge boasts 20 spacious Bungalows and 2 Family units set on luscious green lawns under tall shade trees next to the Kavango River.
Upon arrival at the Hakusembe River Oasis, a feeling of tranquillity envelops you as you gaze across the bubbling waters and hear the different bird songs that make for the perfect background music to relax in this peaceful haven.
Activities on site include: Birding, Boating, and Catch and Release Fishing
After a long day on the road, you needs to eat. Luckily Hakusembe River Lodge has a culinary team that can satisfy any taste bud.
As the norm at Gondwana Collection properties, Hakusembe River Lodge strives to be sustainable in all they do – including the food they serve at their restaurant.
Vegetables and herbs are grown organically by the lodge, and other produce is sourced locally to ensure that the food is fresh and vibrant and this, in turn, supports the community.
Namibia has a huge German influence, from architecture to culinary cuisine. Hakusembe River Lodge takes this German influence and makes mouth-watering dishes, including their popular Curry Bratwurst Burger.
Bratwurst has over 40 different variations and can be found all the way back in 1313, Germany. Bratwurst will commonly be poached and then pan-fried to achieve that crunchy outer layer and that delicious saucy meat inside. We have grown to love this tasty treat so much that every August 16th, we celebrate World Bratwurst Day.
Hakusembe River Lodge serves their bratwurst in a mild curry sauce on a burger bun with a side of vibrant coleslaw and chips and is an ideal family-friend meal for a busy weeknight.
Curry Bratwurst Burger
- 2 Buns
- Salt and pepper
- Honey mustard sauce
For the coleslaw:
- 1 medium cabbage (about 2 pounds), outer leaves removed
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and shredded
- 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh parsley leaves, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup (170 grams) mayonnaise, try our homemade mayonnaise recipe
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar or more to taste
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard or coarse ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon celery seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt or more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper or more to taste
- 1 to 2 teaspoons sugar or honey, optional, add for a sweeter coleslaw
Bratwurst in curry sauce:
- 1 cup of Tomato Ketchup
- 1/4 teaspoon of Baking Soda sounds weird but trust me
- 4 – 5 teaspoons of Mild Curry Powder
- 2 teaspoons of Smoked Paprika
- 1 teaspoon of Onion Powder
- 1/8 – 1/4 teaspoons of Cayenne Pepper
- 2 teaspoons of Worcestershire Sauce
- 4 tablespoons of Beef Broth
- 2 or more tablespoons of Water
For the Bratwurst in curry sauce:
- Put 1 cup of tomato ketchup in a small saucepan and heat on medium low. When ketchup is warmed through, add baking soda and stir continuously until foaming subsides. Ketchup should look normal again.
- Reduce heat to low. Add remaining ingredients, through to water and stir until combines. Let it simmer on the stow for 5 – 10 minutes to meld flavours.
- Serve warm over sliced bratwurst with crusty bread or fries as a side.
For the coleslaw:
- Quarter the cabbage through the core, and then cut out the core. Cut each quarter crosswise in half and finely shred. Place the shredded cabbage in a very large bowl (you will have 6 to 8 cups).
- Add the shredded carrot and parsley to the cabbage and toss to mix.
- In a separate bowl, stir the mayonnaise, vinegar, mustard, celery seeds, salt, and pepper together. Taste for acidity and seasoning, then adjust as desired. If the dressing tastes too tart and you prefer a sweeter coleslaw, stir in the optional sugar.
- Pour two-thirds of the dressing over the cabbage and carrot then mix well. (Clean hands are the quickest tool).
- If the coleslaw seems dry, add a little more of the dressing. Eat right away or let it sit in the refrigerator for about an hour to let the flavors mingle and the cabbage to soften.
Spread the butter onto the bun, assemble the burger and simply enjoy!